The very purpose and main function of education is the development of an all round and well-balanced personality of the students, and also to develop all dimensions of the human intellect so that our children can help make our nation a more democratic, cohesive, socially responsible, culturally rich and intellectually competitive nation.
But nowadays, more emphasis is unduly laid on knowledge-based and information-oriented education which takes care of only the intellectual development of the child.
Here in St. Christophers Academy, we develop all the aspects of a student’s personality like physical, emotional, social and spiritual and we provide for the growth of attitudes, habits, values, skills and interests among the pupils.
A complete description of what value education is, could entail a study in itself.
According to C.V.Good, “Value- education is the aggregate of all the process by which a person develops abilities, attitudes and other forms of behaviour of positive values in the society in which he lives.”
In our school, we teach value education, to make morality a living concern for students. Accordingly, our objectives for value education are as follows:
- Full development of a child’s personality in its physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects.
- Inculcation of good manners and of responsible and cooperative citizenship.
- Developing respect for the dignity of individuals and society.
- Inculcation of a spirit of Patriotism and National integration.
- Developing a democratic way of thinking and living.
- Developing tolerance towards and understanding of Christian faith.
- Developing sense of brotherhood at social, national and international levels.
- Helping pupils to have faith in themselves.
- Enabling pupils to make decisions on the basis of sound moral principles.
- Finding out the interests of pupils in relation to different aspects and activities of value education.
Really speaking, it is not enough just to know about values, because values have to be practiced. Our country is undergoing radical social changes.
We, St. Christopher’s Academy equip and orient the students, the future citizens of tomorrow, with desirable skills and values to respond and adjust these social changes.